This immersive, two-day course provides the fundamental principles and practices of Scrum. The first day is spent understanding the Roles, Events and Artifacts of Scrum. And, the second day is focused on the bigger picture of doing Scrum within the context of an organization.
This two-day course provides the fundamental principles and practices of Scrum. It gives participants hands-on experience using Scrum and puts theory into action through a variety of interactive and intensive exercises. We have structured this course to ensure that participants leave with practical skills which can be immediately applied to improve their work.
Through this course, participants will gain practical experience working with Scrum tools such as the Product Backlog, the Sprint Backlog, Taskboards, and Burndown graphs. Participants will also work through the full Scrum cycle and learn about Scrum activities including the Sprint Planning meeting, the Daily Scrum meetings, the Sprint Review meeting, and finally the Retrospective.
Following successful completion of the course, you will be qualified and ready to pass the Scrum Alliance assessment exam. This multiple-choice, online test is required to become a Certified ScrumMaster, which includes a one-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, where additional ScrumMaster-only material and information are available.
- The online Certified ScrumMaster assessment fee is included with this course
- 2 full days of training with a Certified Scrum Trainer & highly experienced practitioner
- A bound workbook, and an electronic copy of the course materials
- Lunch and light refreshments (morning tea, afternoon tea, and coffee)
About the Trainer
Kane Mar has been developing, coaching, and leading software projects for the last 20 years. He has been an active member of the Agile software development community since 2001 when he first had the opportunity of working with Ken Schwaber. Mar became one of the first 30 Certified Scrum Trainers in 2006, and one of the first three Certified Scrum Coaches in 2007.
Mar has worked with some of the largest companies in the world including Microsoft, Oracle, Capital One, MetLife, Nationwide Insurance, and JPM. And, he has training and coached software teams throughout North America, Northern Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
In addition to his training and coaching activities, Mar actively supports community events with regular speaking engagements at local conventions, user groups, and online groups and forums. Recently, he has spoken at Agile Australia (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), Agile New Zealand (2011), and the Shanghai Scrum Gathering (2010).
- An introduction to Scrum, including the topics: What is Agile software development, Where does Scrum come from, What is Scrum, and the Scrum meetings.
- The product backlog, including the topics: What is the Product Backlog, Size of Backlog items, Writing User Stories, and Prioritization.
- Measuring progress, including the topics: Agile Estimating, Planning Poker, Sprint burndown graphs, and task boards.
- Software quality, including the topics: Definition of "Done" and Technical Debt.
- Roles and responsibilities, including the topics: Scrum Master, Product Owner, and The Team.
- Releasing including the topics: Sprints, Release burndown graphs.
- Scaling Scrum, including two different models for Scaling.
- Programs offered by the Scrum Alliance, and closing activities
Here are some endorsements from recent CSM course participants:
"Very knowledgeable and strong communicator. A well-balanced combination of theory, examples, and exercises. Happy to discuss and provide insights on related subjects not necessarily on the agenda thus tailoring the course to individual needs. The facilitator's vast experiences and advice add real value to the delivery of the course."
"I would without pause recommend this course to anyone considering learning about Agile and I would absolutely engage Kane's services further as a mentor and Agile trainer in the further if I were in a position to do so."
"Kane brings a wealth of experience from several years in the Scrum space. Having worked with some of the founders of Scrum, and having a relationship with the big scrum names, gives great credibility to the content presented by Kane. It sets this course apart from the others out there."
"Well presented, very engaging, very positive presentation. I really enjoyed the course and would recommend it to others."
TERMS OF BOOKING - Cancellations and changes
We understand that plans change and you may be unable to attend the Scrum course date you have booked. We will either offer a full refund or reschedule you to a convenient Scrum course at a later date.
For in-person courses where a participant changes their course date or cancels with less than 72hrs notice, an administration fee of $200 will be charged due to costs incurred.
There will be no refunds or rescheduling of the course if not canceled prior to the first day of the course start.